I had this whole elaborate plan to send out Disability History Month cards to everyone and all I had to do to finish the project was buy paper! Regardless, below is the text content of one of the cards.
Signs That a Loved One May Be a Crip Culture Nerd:
- ADA Day (July 26th) is a bigger deal than their birthday.
- There is a good chance they love Yoshiko more than they love most family members.
- No matter what city, they know which bookstores have a disability studies section
- They have more fingers than friends who identify as Republican (okay that’s a little partisan…but true)
- Their photo albums are made up of protests, conference pictures, and drunk disabled people
- If they haven’t been to an ADAPT action yet, they’re determined to find something and chain themselves to it.
- They use make-up words like CIL, AAPD, and TASH in daily context (and you’re starting to learn what they mean.)
- The fact that this person is serving on way too many boards and committees is affecting your relationship with the said person.
- They’re saving up vacation time to go to the next Disability Pride Parade
- and…You’ve heard them end every presentation with “i love you, lead on.”